The Southern Virginia University Alumni Association (SVUAA) is sponsoring a fundraiser in the form of an essay contest for all Southern Virginia alumni. By participating in this contest, alumni have the opportunity to give back to their alma mater, share about some of their most meaningful experiences at Southern Virginia, and enter to win an all-expense-paid trip for two to Homecoming this year.
In order to enter the essay contest, alumni must do one of the following:
- Contribute a one-time donation of $50 (be sure to enter “SVUAA Essay Contest” in the comments section)
- Sign up for the Alumni Association’s 5-Buck-a-Month program (select “Alumni Association,” then “5 buck (or more) a month program,” then indicate the amount — at least $5 — that you would like to have debited from your account each month)
Alumni who already participate in the 5-Buck-a-Month program will not be required to make any additional donations. All funds raised through this essay contest will go toward improving Southern Virginia’s classrooms. These improvements could include installing new whiteboards, purchasing and installing projectors, painting, and other physical improvements that will help the university better meet the needs of all current and future students.
Entrants for this essay will have 500 words or fewer to write on one of the topics below:
- Write about a specific Southern Virginia course or professor who made an unmistakable impact on your life.
- Describe a memory you have that you feel is quintessentially Southern Virginia — that takes you back to all you love and remember about your time spent there.
- Southern Virginia has experienced amazing growth in the past 18 years. How do you picture the school 20 years from now? What do you think will change? What do you hope will stay the same?
Please email your completed essay to email@example.com by Aug. 22, 2014. All essays must be written in English. Include with the essay: your full name, your graduation year, your state or providence of residence, and a current photo of yourself. Entries will be judged by the Alumni Association Executive Council and the winner will be announced on September 5, 2014.
The author of the winning essay, as determined by the Alumni Association Executive Council, will receive the following:
- Two roundtrip plane tickets to this year’s Homecoming (Oct. 10-12, 2014)
- Lodging for the duration of Homecoming
- A rental car for use during Homecoming
- A $300 gift card for food and miscellaneous expenses
- The winning essay published on the official Southern Virginia University blog and social media platforms
Authors of the second and third place essays will receive:
- Gift cards to the Southern Virginia Campus Bookstore ($50 for second, $20 for third)
- Their essays published on the official Southern Virginia University blog
The Fine Print
- Alumni who elect to participate in the 5-Buck-a-Month program agree to remain in the program for at least ten months, or until $50 of donations have been contributed.
- Southern Virginia University is a Section 501(c)3 nonprofit and your gift may qualify as a charitable deduction for federal income tax purposes. Please consult a tax adviser or the IRS to determine the how much of your contribution is deductible.
- All submitted essays become the property of the Southern Virginia University Alumni Association. By submitting an essay in this contest, entrants give the Alumni Association permission to use, alter, distribute, publish, broadcast, and display the submitted essay, the entrant’s name, and the submitted photo and residential information on the Southern Virginia University website or blog, elsewhere on the Internet, in advertising and promotional materials, and in any other format for purposes related to the Alumni Association.
- The first-place winner will receive two tickets to and from an airport near Buena Vista, Va. We will make every effort to accommodate anyone who wins, no matter where in the world he or she lives. However, winners in remote locations may be required to provide their own transportation to and from a major international airport. Should any major complicating circumstances arise (e.g. war, major strikes, natural disasters) in or near any locations the winner may need to travel through, we may not be able to complete travel arrangements as expected. However, we promise to make every reasonable effort to get the winner here, at our expense, no matter where his or her journey may start or end.
- Plane tickets will be purchased to bring the winner in on Friday, Oct. 10, 2014 and fly the winner back home on Sunday, October 12, 2014. If necessary, we might be able to accommodate winners who would like to fly in earlier or stay longer; however, we cannot guarantee this as an option. No matter what the final dates are for the plane tickets, lodging and a rental car will be provided only during the duration of Homecoming.
- In the event that the winning entrant lives close enough to Buena Vista that a plane ticket is not necessary, the winner has the option to forego the plane ticket and accept in its place a $50 gift card to the Southern Virginia University bookstore. All other prizes would remain as listed above.
(Post by the Alumni Association Executive Council.)